Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking pasta with salt and water

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
>>"Steve Pope" > wrote in message

>>> There is no need to add salt in the first place.

>>I believe there is. Lidia Bastianich said the water needs to be briny
>>with
>>salt. Pasta hasn't got a lot of flavor. IMO, it doesn't taste like much
>>if
>>you don't add the salt.

> I guess my view is once you try it a few times without salt,
> you will never miss it. Salt preference is very much a matter
> of what you're used to.

Wrong, IMO. I learned to cook without salt so always made my pasta without.
Until I learned on various cooking shows that it does need salt. It is MUCH
better with.

> I haven't added salt (nor oil) to pasta boiling water for many
> years, maybe a couple decades, and I don't miss it at all.

I can certainly tell if it is cooked without.

> Tangentially: I did try the Bionature pasta that Christine and
> others recommended here. And, it seems maybe slightly slightly better
> than other whole wheat pastas. It's apparent from the labeling that
> it is slightly less dried out (less carbs, calories, and protein per
> ounce of dry pasta), and their blurb says something about
> a special "slow drying process".

I believe I used it years ago. Can't remember much one way or the other.