Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default 6" rolls like a Kaiser roll?

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote:

>"Jim Elbrecht" schrieb :
>>I want to make some mini sub rolls today. I feel like a Kaiser roll
>> type with a crusty exterior and a bit of a yeasty flavor.
>>
>> But I don't use sourdough and most of what I see online uses either
>> sourdough or a poolish of some sort.
>>
>> Does someone have a recipe up their sleeve that might be fit the bill?
>>

>There's no sourdough in a Kaisersemmel.

It would likely make you cry if I took you to 3-4 local markets and
made you feel & smell [I wouldn't have the heart to ask you to put
them in your mouth] the variety of things we call Kaiser rolls.

I hope the real thing is similar to the rolls we used to get out of a
bakery in NJ--- but to tell you the truth I have no idea what is
correct-- just what I like.

>Making the real thing is a lot of work (the dough has to be worked 5 times
>before it's ready).

As long as I can work it with the dough hook, I'm good. My hands
don't do much kneading, but I don't mind playing in the kitchen all
day.

>That's the bad news. The good news : You need diamalt for the dough ;-)

That will make it all worthwhile.<g>

So point me at a good traditional recipe. I like the looks of the
one "l, not -l" posted-- but I'll be looking for ways to use up my
couple tablespoons of malt powder next week.

Thanks,
Jim