Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default 6" rolls like a Kaiser roll?

"l, not -l" > wrote:

>On 1-Feb-2011, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
>> I want to make some mini sub rolls today. I feel like a Kaiser roll
>> type with a crusty exterior and a bit of a yeasty flavor.
>>
>> But I don't use sourdough and most of what I see online uses either
>> sourdough or a poolish of some sort.
>>
>> Does someone have a recipe up their sleeve that might be fit the bill?

>Kaiser rolls are also known as Vienna rolls. Here's the recipe from
>"Secrets of a Jewish Baker", by George Greenstein.
>
>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Vienna Rolls

Hehe-- Change 3. I decided to go with some beef soup today - and do
the rolls tomorrow. I just put the poolish in for the first rise.

And now I'm going to try my hand at making Vienna rolls to have with
the soup. Ah-- life is tough.<g>

Thanks-- This looks delicious. And it has some malt syrup in it
which I've been wanting to see what that adds to a bread recipe.

-snip-

>Shaping: Punch down the dough again, divide into 3 pieces, cover and let
>stand 15 minutes. Roll out into ropes. Cut 6 equal pieces from each rope,
>then proceed with shaping. This is done by flattening each piece into a 3
>inch round, then placing your left thumb on the circle. Stretch and fold a
>flap over your thumb. From this point on, keep your thumb in place inside
>the flap at all times. Seal the fold with a karate chop using the side of
>your hand. Begin a second flap over from the right side. Seal the edge
>with a chop as before. Turn your thumb an the dough slightly
>counterclockwise and pull a third flap over. Chop to seal. Turn just
>enough to bring the fourth fold comfortably in line, sealing with the
>side-handed shop. Stretch and fold a fifth time. Simultaneously remove
>your left thumb while pushing the tip of the last flap with the right thumb
>into the hole left by the vacating thumb. Your should have a five-petaled,
>rose-shaped design. With practice, you'll lear to quickly make perfectly
>shaped rolls.

I've watched a couple videos on this and I don't have much
confidence--- but it ought to be fun.

> "Vienna rolls, also called Kaiser rolls or hard rolls, are known for their
> distinctive shape and are rich in egg, oil and sugar."
>Yield:
> "18 rolls"

It's the eggs! I've tried to do crusty rolls with my go-to bread
recipe, and have come close, but never was real happy. It is very
similar to this except for the eggs.
Thanks-
Jim