Michael Plant

Default Green tea suggestion

Ed Clarkrbpob.104894$Ms2.94344@fed1read0310/31/03

> I am new to regular tea drinking. I have read about the qualities and
> virtues of green tea. Whether they are true or not is not important. What
> I am looking for is a green tea that has more flavor and body than a cup of
> hot, greenish yellow water. I brew at the recommended concentration and
> temperature but only get minimal results. Am I expecting too much? Is this
> tea supposed to be like that? Any recommendations and suggestions welcomed,
> I think.
>
> Thanks
>
> EC

Ed,

Here are some thoughts, for what they're worth:

First, green teas are indeed quieter, subtler, gentler on balance than red
teas. The show might just be passing you by. Having said that, you might try
Lin Yun White Down from Special Teas. The web page for the tea:

<http://www.specialteas.com/cgi-bin/S...ct/detail.pl?U
+scstore+azcp9276+524>

Also, perhaps a Bao Zhong, which is, strictly speaking, an oolong, but as
green as oolong gets. Here's one I haven't tried yet, but intend to, from In
Pursuit of Tea. It goes by the name of Pouchong Ching Fung. (Pouchong and
Bao Zhong are transliteration variants of the same Chinese words.)

<http://store.yahoo.com/teastores/poucminyue.html>

I am recommending these two because they are flavorful and distinct and for
the most part forgiving. The directions on the packets of these two will be
accurate enough.

Be aware of course that many vendors put ridiculous brewing instructions on
their packages, often recommending too high a temperature for green teas or
too long a brewing time. Anyway, experiment away. BTW, if you can, try to
find either of these teas in your friendly neighborhood Chinese market. The
Bao Zhong should be readily available. There are undoubtedly 10,000 green
teas you could try. Good luck.

Let us know your brewing parameters: temperature, steep time, and leaf
amount.

Best,
Michael