Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ophelia[_7_] Ophelia[_7_] is offline

Default Pickled fish longevity (Gravad Lax)

"Lowell TenClay" > wrote in message

> Pickled Fish
> Fillet out your fish and cut into bite size pieces (make sure you
> skinned your fillets as the skin left on gets tough) Fill a quart jar
> loosely with fish pieces, add 5/8 cup of salt to 1 qt of fish. Cover
> with shite vinegar.

'Shite' vinegar? It this a special vinegar or ......

Let stand in refrigerator for 5 days shake or
> stir each day to mix in the salt.
>
> "after 5 days"
> Drain and rinse with cold water for 10 min. Place in jar alternating
> layers fo fish and raw onion rings. Cover with cooled vinegar
> mixture. Keep in refrigerator. Ready to eat in 36 hrs. The longer
> they set the better they get.
>
> Vinegar mixtu
> bring to boil 1 qt white vinegar
> 3 cups sugar
> 1/8-1/4 cup pickling spice (old recipe said 1/2 box)
> Cool before pouring over fish and onions.
>
> Note: I make these by the ice cream bucket full, I adjust the salt to
> the amount of fish/container size I use. I have kept these in the
> refrigerator for years. As long as you get and keep them cold they
> last fine. I just finished my last ones from my last batch, they were
> as firm and good as in the beginning and I can't remember when I made
> them. These are sweeter than most pickled herring but also are not as
> fishy, probably due to the fact you have removed the skin. I use
> whatever fresh water fish (I live in midcontinet so don't have
> anyother kind of fish available but would suppose any white fleshed
> fish would work) we have caught but would Not use bullheads or
> similar fish since they are a softer/fattier fish. If using northern
> pike or other large fillet fish you can cut th meat lengthwise so its
> not so thick, this makes it easier to eat. Also don't worry about the
> bones in the northerns they will dissolve in the vinegar.

Many thanks for that, Connie! Heh, between you and George I can see myself
picking like a mad thing <g>

I have only ever pickled onions and (look away now Barb) beetroots. I am
enthused to start something new)

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/