Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] Charlotte L. Blackmer[_3_] is offline

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" originalSuper protein bars (Dec 25, 2010)

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:
>On 1/23/2011 5:46 PM, Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> At my food bank, broken packages and various types of expired food go into
>> a special dumpster that a farmer picks up for his livestock.

>That's much better than tossing it. Is that something that is widely
>known? If so, it might encourage people to "donate" thereby causing
>more work for the volunteers rather than finding another thing to do
>with expired food. Just a thought...

The local municipality has provided compost pails to local residents so
they can do this kind of re-use at home. Given the crazy stuff I've seen
in the food bins at the food bank, I don't think they want to encourage
anyone to get into the habit of having the food bank "recycle" their dodgy
food for them .

(I found a half-eaten bag of chips one time when I was packing. No lie.)

For a period my number seemed to be posted on the feeding program
section of the church web site and I got calls from people about
food donations. I was glad I had done the packing stint so I could
definitively say, "No, the food bank won't take it."

Charlotte