Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original Super protein bars (Dec 25, 2010)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:07:38 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"

>> > What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> > food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> > exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat. No one could
>> > possibly tell that a bottle of ketchup was past it's "best used by"
>> > date... even Stan couln't say. I have eaten canned beets way past
>> > their best-used-by date, perfectly wholesome. I don't think anyone is
>> > donating a raw cod fish caught last week and kept in the trunk of
>> > their car in 90º weather... big difference from a can of Bumble Bee
>> > tuna past its best-used-by date. This morning I opened a can of
>> > Carnation Evap, on the bottom of the can it says "Best Used By
>> > 07/17/2011". Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . I'll bet it would
>> > still be good by 07/17/2111. ****in' idiots!
>> >
>> > Folks are getting carried away with this use-by nonsense... won't be
>> > long they'll print best used by on a box of salt, like salt is gonna
>> > spoil, it's only been here since this planet was created.

>> I have eaten "best by" things that were past their date. Some seemed to
>> taste fine. Others, like chips, did not. I just ate sourdough bread that
>> expired on the 18th. It wasn't moldy but was a bit dried out. Would have
>> been fine for toast or a grilled cheese sandwich. But it was kind of
>> crumbly for my turkey sandwich.
>>
>> I have bought the kind of cheese that was cut from a big wheel. It tends to
>> go moldy if much past the "sell by" date. I used to buy a flaxseed bread
>> that I could never eat all of before it expired. It was always moldy by the
>> "sell by" date and often moldy three days before! I quit buying it.
>>
>> Would I take expired food if someone gave it to me because it was free?
>> Nope.

>Categorically? Why not?
>

>> When I did eat the expired chips, I didn't realize they were expired until I
>> tasted them. They were not very crisp and had a dull flavor.

>Sometimes a couple minutes in a hot oven will crisp them up.

I bet those chips in the basket at the local watering hole everyone is
pawing at with unwashed hands taste just fine to Julie while she's
chugging pints.

Tater chips nowadays are so controlled by the transfats and salt
freaks that even fresh made they taste woofy.

I really gotta laugh at that holier than thou Obama chick with her
health kick, with her blimpo bubble butt and her tobacco adddicted
malnourished spouse she needs to STFU, she's an embarrassment to
intelligence.