Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Expired "Fiber One" bars ( Aug 21, 2010) and "Odwalla" original Super protein bars (Dec 25, 2010)

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:05:49 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:21:23 -0500, "dejablues"
>> > wrote:

>> >From my experience in a few years of working with the Boy Scouts annual food
>> >drive, you'd be amazed at the amount of expired food that gets donated. It
>> >all gets tossed. What a waste of food, labor, and time.

>> What I'm amazed at is how ignorant they are to toss perfectly good
>> food that folks would be happy to receive. Best-used-by dates mean
>> exactly that, doesn't mean expired/unfit to eat.

>I agree, Sheldon, but Somebody's Rules is Somebody's Rules. I wouldn't
>be the least bit surprised if Somebody Ruled out food with a past expiry
>out of fear of a possible lawsuit.

Far more likely the rule makers want the freshest possible when they
fill their own pantry. Humans are greedy and dishonest... the only
charity I donate to is food for animals, and not cash, only food...
animals only take what they need, they have no pockets, and they never
lie. Where I live there's a network of private citizens who live on
agri land so they have the space to take in all sorts of rescue
animals. The local vets donate their services gratis, so mostly all
that's needed is food, litter, bedding, bowls, troughs, and tack for
horses. Many of the local women who knit/crochet/quilt supply little
blankies/toys for cats and dogs. The network moves animals from one
property to another depending on resources needed. The main thrust is
to make the animals healthy and find them suitable homes. I would
never donate to so-called poor folk, let the lazy S O Bs get J O Bs.
And there are plenty of grubbermint agencies that care for them with
taxpayer's money anyway. When I donate a hundred pounds of generic
cat chow it all gets fed to homeless cats, none finds its way to some
administrator's pantry like the items you donate. If some bowry wino
begged me for money to eat I'd offer to buy him a ham sandwich but I'd
never give him money, he'd use it to buy cheap muscatel. Where I
lived previously there were quite a few homeless people who lived out
of stupidmarket shopping carts, a few actually had pets (cats & dogs).
They took very good care of their animals. One old crone in
particular walked by my house every morning with her two cats in her
cart and stopped to help herself to the two cans of cat food I'd leave
in my mailbox.