blues Lyne

Default Fukamushi-Cha

I recently went to a couple of Asian markets in the area to check out some
teas. Most of what I got wasn't to spectacular. I bought some Foo Joy
Dragon Well that tastes like Dragon Well, but has a funny flavor in there
also. I also got some Pouchong from Hua Tai Tea Company. It is nice and
flowery, very Oolongish, with out much green flavor. Unfortunately for me,
I like the green flavor in Pouchong tea. I got some Qing brand Yunnan black
tea in bags that I thought may be good for dining out or travel, but while
it's drinkable, it's a far cry from even the cheap Yunnan's I've had.

I purchased one other little 2 oz. packet of tea. On the front it says
Fukamushi-Cha New Crop Green Tea Packed by Yamama Masudaen Co. Ltd.
Shizuokaken, Japan. It was all of $2.99 for the packet. I think I'm
addicted! Steeping for more than 30 seconds makes for a bitter tea, but in
a different way than most teas I'm used to. It's still very drinkable. But
at 30 seconds, it makes a delicious vegetal tea with lots of flavor. It
doesn't seem to be too picky about temperature either. I've brewed it with
near boiling water and with water down around 150F, all produced a great cup
of tea. The liquor is bright green and a little cloudy. The leaves are
broken into very fine pieces. I don't know if this is by design, or from
shipping, handling, etc.

I'll definitely be going back for more. The same store had a Uri Gyokuro
that I'm going to pick up next time to try.

You guys told me my taste would change as I explored tea and you were right.
At first I preferred Chinese greens and Indian blacks, but now I've moved to
a preference for Japanese greens and Chinese blacks. Thanks for helping me
get started on this very enjoyable journey.