Joel

Default Beer troubles in Pennsylvania

> wrote:
>Tom Wolper wrote:
>> Putting beer in supermarkets isn't a radical
>> idea - at least 48 other states do it (I'm not sure about Utah).

>Wow, you really ought to get out more. There are a LOT of states
>without beer sales in supermarkets (and, generally, one can say that the
>better beer selections exist in such states).

Generally?! You need to get out more. Beer selection
in (for example) Wisconsin and Illinois is great, and both
states allow beer sales in grocery stores. (Wine too, and
at least in Illinois spirits as well.)

>In fact, as a beer lover, I HATE states where beer is sold in
>supermarkets (old, exposed to light and poor selections).

Beer is also sold in "liquor stores" in IL and WI, and
there's nothing special about those wrt the condition of
the beer. IOW that's a straw man argument.

>I've said it before (and, granted, it might be an outdated reason) but I
>think a major reason Pennsylvania had more independent breweries left
>(and no majors to speak of) than any other state in the pre-micro days
>was your system of beer sales.

Per capita? Wisconsin may have given PA a run for its
money. And gosh, both states have large population with
German ancestry. But that wouldn't have anything to do with
it.
--
Joel Plutchak "Senza la birra tutto diventa orfano."
plutchak@[...] - Italian proverb (slightly revised)