Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 15 Minutes Prep Time...

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>>> 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
>>> 4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
>>> 2 medium onions; finely chopped
>>> 1 green pepper; finely chopped
>>> 1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
>>> 1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped

>> I am not that fast at cutting things up. So I think chopping all those
>> veggies would take me more than 15 minutes. I suppose I could do them in
>> the food processor and that might be quicker, but I tend not to do that
>> for things like this. If I were going to put the veggies in a sauce or
>> meatloaf, then I would use the food processor. It tends to chop things
>> finer. I don't even think it would be all that fast with my Slap Chop.

> All *what* vegetables???? Two onions, 3 bell peppers, two puny cloves of
> garlic and 6 pieces of bacon? Hardly what I'd call a lot of chopping.
>
> Letsee.. about 1 min to take all six slices of bacon and slice up together
> at once. Another minute to peel and mince up the garlic (lay unpeeled
> cloves of garlic on the cutting board and lay the large chopping knife
> blade over and whack with your hand, that gets the peel off in one fell
> swoop and then you can quickly mince. Adding your recipe's salt to the
> garlic on the cutting board even helps it mince better) Then take the bell
> peppers and cut into half to seed, then into strips and cross cut into the
> desired finished size. It truly shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
>
> Do you do it somehow differently that it takes an abnormal amount of time
> for you? Perhaps better knives and cutting board? I once knew a woman
> who complained about cooking yet when I saw her utensils she was trying to
> cook with soup spoons and other totally inadequate equipment. I have no
> doubt cooking was an unpleasant task at *that* rate!

It takes me a while to peel onions and garlic. I have seen the technique of
smashing the garlic. That never seems to work for me. I just wind up with
a mess and I have to pick little bits out. I am careful with my onions
because I don't want bits of peel in there. And I am careful with my
peppers because I don't like the seeds in there.

At one point in time I was severely disabled and could not stand up for any
length of time. I bought a bar stool and used it to sit on. I tried to
prep my veggies for the week all at one time. Of course it seemed there
were always times I had to do something additional. But I spent a good two
hours of chopping and slicing every week. This included vegetables for
snacks and salads.