Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 15 Minutes Prep Time...

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> ...on Venus, maybe. I wanted to try a new chili that was a bit more
> zippy than the one I use, so thought I'd try this one that I got off
> FN. It clearly states "15 mins." prep time, which unless there is
> another definition for "prep time" means getting all the bits and
> pieces ready to put into the pot. Now, just eyeballin' the recipe, one
> can see that cutting up the bacon, chopping the garlic, onions, 3
> green peppers, etc. is going to take more than 15 mins. unless you are
> way, way super faster than I am. And the recipe says it serves "4 to
> 6." That'd be 4 - 6 linebackers for the Vikings, but 8 - 10 of my
> nearest and dearest. And I love, love, love the reviews (which is why
> I picked this recipe, everyone seemed to go bonkers for it). Most of
> them raved about the recipe, then gave you six different ways they
> *changed* it. Oh, and it's a good recipe, but not a trip to the moon.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Beef And Pork Chili
>
> meats and poultry
>
> 6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
> 4 cloves garlic; finely chopped
> 2 medium onions; finely chopped
> 1 green pepper; finely chopped
> 1 red bell pepper; finely chopped
> 1 yellow bell pepper; finely chopped
> 3 tablespoons chili powder
> 1 tablespoon ground cumin
> 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
> 2 teaspoons dried oregano
> 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
> salt and black pepper
> 1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
> 1 pound ground pork
> 1 cup dark beer
> 1 (15-ounce) can black beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans; drained and rinsed
> 1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
> 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes; with juice
> lime wedges; for garnish
> sour cream; for garnish
> shredded cheddar; for garnish
> sliced green onions; for garnish
>
> In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat
> until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned,
> add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle
> chili powder, oregano, and smoked paprika and season with salt and
> pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings
> are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once
> beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with
> wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4
> minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the
> crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1
> 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
> Transfer the chili to serving bowls and garnish with lime wedges, sour
> cream, shredded cheese, and sliced scallions.
>
> Notes: The Neelys (FN)
>
> Yield: 4 to 6 servings
>
> Preparation Time: 15 mi

> [...]

I am not that fast at cutting things up. So I think chopping all those
veggies would take me more than 15 minutes. I suppose I could do them in
the food processor and that might be quicker, but I tend not to do that for
things like this. If I were going to put the veggies in a sauce or
meatloaf, then I would use the food processor. It tends to chop things
finer. I don't even think it would be all that fast with my Slap Chop.