Posted to alt.food.wine
Yves Yves is offline

Default "French vintners, for instance, have seen the taste and alcohol content change for some wines, and are worried they could see more competition as climate change makes areas of northern Europe friendlier to wine-growing."

"aesthete8" > wrote in message
> "French vintners, for instance, have seen the taste and alcohol
> content change for some wines, and are worried they could see more
> competition as climate change makes areas of northern Europe
> friendlier to wine-growing."
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D9KF2OF80.htm

Some time ago I was at a wine tasting where I discovered that some white
Loire wines reached a whopping 15% Alc. The grower readily admitted that
sugar and consequently alcohol levels had soared over the last decades.

It was more for the matter of fun that I replied "Sure you won't add any
water during fermentation?" and he answered: "Definitely not, but in the old
days, we would only harvest on dry days. Now we don't mind if it is raining
and some water is on the grapes"

Yves