Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default A cooking pot that doesn't absorb the smell of fish when cooking fish?

Gareth Fimlinson wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> If you want good pots and pans, get stainless steel. good polished
>> stainless steel. The good stuff is not cheap but is worth it and
>> will last forever.

> what's this about different types of stainless steel pot.
>
> no teflon (I guess if it's silver inside then it's no teflon and the
> black inside ones are teflon, right?)

The best coated stuff is lower quality then the best polished stuff.
There are many levels in between where it is also true. At the bottom
are the teflon frying pans that last maybe a year. No matter the
coating (including anodized) it wears off or a chemical reaction etches
it off.

> does it have to be polished? what'd that do?

One of several signs of quality.

> what's the difference between good stainless steel and bad stainless
> steel?

The best stuff is stainless layered inside and out with copper or
aluminum in the core. All Clad, the various "waterless" brands sold at
home shows have the core go up the sides. The next step down are the
ones where the core is all or almost all at the bottom. The top of the
Cruisinart line.

The bad stuff is all stainless. Lower heat conductivity so it has hot
spots that stick and burn. The cheapest stainless stuff makes it worse
by being thin as well.