Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default A cooking pot that doesn't absorb the smell of fish when cookingfish?

Gareth Fimlinson wrote:
> I have some pots/pans that when I cook fish in them, salmon fillets,
> they smell of it afterwards, and seem to absorb it. If I boil plain
> water in them then the sides get misted up with fishy stuff, and I can
> wash it off then boil it again e.t.c.
>

> I am looking for a cooking pot where that doesn't happen.
>
> Does anybody know
> a)why it happens with the pots I have.. what those pots might be made
> from that causes it?
>
> b)what pots I could get where that wouldn't happen?
>
> The pots I have I don't know much about them but they're black inside,
> so that may say something about the material what it is or isn't..
>
> I am wondering if maybe a metallic one won't have the problem.. but I
> don't know.
>
> If they were cheap like < £15 then I might buy one and find out.. but
> i'm not sure where.. I am currently in the UK, I see
> http://www.johnlewis.com/231034624/Product.aspx £35
> but I don't want to throw money at that and find it keeps the fish
> smell..

You want something that's stainless steel and not lined with Teflon.
Wash it gently with scouring powder and vinegar after you cook
especially smelly fish. Or use "Barkeepers Friend", which contains
an acid (not sure if you can get that in the UK.) Don't scrub it
too hard or the scouring powder will scratch the finish. (don't
scrub the outside at all.) HTH

-Bob