Posted to rec.food.cooking
blake murphy[_2_] blake murphy[_2_] is offline

Default Global Warming

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 15:39:00 +0000, Gorio wrote:

> 'ravenlynne[_5_ Wrote:
>> ;1566354']On 12/31/2010 10:51 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:-
>> sf wrote:-
>>
>> I'd be willing to bet they are also home schooling their children to
>> protect them from all that science blather they're teaching in public
>> schools today. As was mentioned earlier, otherwise reasonable and
>> intelligent people can get really stupid when the bible is involved.-
>>
>> Some home school for that reason. If they ever want their kids to get
>> diploma they end up disappointed as a small amount of science is
>> required.
>>
>> Some home school because the circulum has declined significantly over
>> the years. Teaching to an old ciriculum that includes the basics of
>> western civilization using new materials on the topics is a strategy
>> used by good private schools and good home schoolers. It's a lot of
>> work but I do have some acquaintences who do this.
>>
>> Some home schoolers do it for what I consider political reasons not
>> religious reasons. The end result can be anywhere along the quality
>> spectrum, poorly correlated with whether they happen to agree with my
>> politics.-
>>
>> Most of the homeschooled children I know are well past the public school
>>
>> educated kids...but their parents are highly educated and are doing it
>> because of the school systems and not due to religious reasons.
>>
>> --
>> Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold

> Kids in my public shool who were home schooled for a time. Thos kidsa
> usually excel. I have others who drop out of my public school to be
> homeschooled by the same dysfucntional mess that enabled the kid to fail
> with no sweat. those kids turn inmate real quick. No mystery: good
> parents-good kids, shithead parenrts-shithead kids. Some will break the
> mold, and, in my district, we work very hard to give the kid who was
> raised by wolves a chance to pass and even excel.
>
> I know what you're saying, though, as publuc universities have adopted
> the "you believe in feminsim or you fail" philosophy. I love going to my
> public U (Winona State U) but can see how a more conservative person
> might feel very uncomfortable there. This is why the Patrick Henry type
> schools have sprung up. I'm cool with that.

this is bullshit. you can argue against feminism all you want *as long as
you make your points logically and grammatically*. and if you think you
get a good education at patrick henry, you're mistaken. you get trained to
be a right-wing culture warrior:

The mission of Patrick Henry College, as adopted by the Board of Trustees
September 28, 2002, is "to train Christian men and women who will lead our
nation and shape our culture with timeless biblical values and fidelity to
the spirit of the American founding. In order to accomplish this mission,
the College provides academically excellent higher education with a
biblical worldview using classical liberal arts core curriculum and
apprenticeship methodology." The College's vision is "to aid in the
transformation of American society by training Christian students to serve
God and mankind with a passion for righteousness, justice and mercy,
through careers of public service and cultural influence."

The College's "Statement of Faith" includes, but is not limited to, the
acknowledgment that "Jesus Christ literally will come to earth again in the
Second Advent" and that "Satan exists as a personal, malevolent being who
acts as tempter and accuser, for whom Hell, the place of eternal
punishment, was prepared, where all who die outside of Christ shall be
confined in conscious torment for eternity."

<http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Patrick_Henry_College>

no thanks. patrick henry grads become republican *apparatchiks*.

blake