Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravenlynne[_5_] ravenlynne[_5_] is offline

Default Question about baking: springform pans

On 1/1/2011 6:59 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 14:06:19 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> My thought was, it's smaller, thus deeper, so it would take longer.
>> Anyway, it baked perfectly in 45 minutes and was delicious with
>> raspberry drizzle.

> I used the one flourless chocolate cake from chowhound.com that was 12
> oz of chocolate and three eggs baked 15 min (I did 20) in an 8-inch
> springform pan. It didn't set up right for me. It was supposed to
> set up into fudgelike consistency in the refrigerator... maybe I
> didn't let it sit long enough. It was very tasty, but it was more
> like pudding than cake.

The one I made was fabulous...very fudgy..solid.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup water
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 18 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate (I used ghirardelli)
* 1 cup unsalted butter
* 6 eggs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease one 10 inch
round cake pan and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water, salt and
sugar. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
3. Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven
melt the bittersweet chocolate. Pour the chocolate into the bowl of an
electric mixer.
4. Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the
chocolate, 1 piece at a time. Beat in the hot sugar-water. Slowly beat
in the eggs, one at a time.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Have a pan larger than the
cake pan ready, put the cake pan in the larger pan and fill the pan with
boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
6. Bake cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for
45 minutes. The center will still look wet. Chill cake overnight in the
pan. To unmold, dip the bottom of the cake pan in hot water for 10
seconds and invert onto a serving plate.

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold