Gorio Gorio is offline
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria.p View Post
Gorio wrote:

Climate change research is
still at the hypothetical stage, IMHO, but I see it coming on strong and
holding more water.

While I don't believe in it 100%, I can't see any reason for delaying
the cleanup of the environment. In the past 100 years humans have been
playing fast and loose with the planet's ecology.

gloria p
I'm with you, there. Not buying it hook line and sinker doesn't demotivate me from trying new things. I was hoping to invest in small wind turbine for my own property.

Like I said, climate change or not, I like to live in a clean place. I don't get city water where I am. I go 30 ft. down. Just drove this well two months ago. You think I'm going to go dumpin' motor oil around?

But, you noticed the second I said I didn't buy into it all the way, people started jumping on the "you're a sinner for not believing as I do" train. Bullies come in the shape of religious and science fanaticism.

I certainly don't reject the hypothesis that human activity can change the climate. It should also be no mystery that there's going to be a lot of pseudo-science when there's money involved.

FarmI, maybe you could hook me up to research that you see as right on. Save me the time of sifting through mountains. I work twelve hour days, go to grad school and have a wife, two kids, a dog,a guinea pig and a gecko. I don't have a slew 'o time.

Seriously, though, I'll read what you link me to, or recommend.

I know psycho-Christians, too. The majority I know are not so, though. It's like judging Muslims by the 9/11 nuts. When we meet people who believe differently than we do, we often resort to "reductio ad absurdem" tactics, instead of actually listening to them.

Maybe if we were to be less defensive of our own beliefs, and listened a little more to others, we could find peaceful resolutions to this growing issue and others.

Barb, you used to teach or are a teacher, right? I also teach in a small, rural public school. Ever notice that there's no middle ground to home schooling. Either the parents do a great job, or it's chips, grape soda and video games all day. There's just no oversight.

"Funny. You need a license to drive a car; but any butt reemin' asshole can have a kid." -Parenthood