Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent Kent is offline

Default Beef stock failure?

"Howard S Shubs" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> Escoffeir recommended equal parts of bone and flesh. So, 6 lbs of
>> beef would be 3lbs of beef bones and 3lbs of beef flesh. He also
>> recommended old beef, rather than younger. Many chefs brown the bones
>> (bake, roast, etc) prior to making the stock for an extra flavor note.
>>
>> Try the above and your stock should be even better.

> Thanks.
>
> --

From the Escoffier Cook Book published in 1969.
4lb shin of beef, flesh and bones
4 lb shin of veal, flesh and bones
one half lb lean raw ham
one half lb fresh pork rine, blanches.
3/4 lb carrots and onions, browned
herbs.
He browns the meats a bit in the oven and proceeds as we've discussed. I
slowly simmer sauce brun at least 6 hours before straining.

The Best of Luck; I haven't done this in years. It's enough effort to do a
large batch, as it freezes well. It's worth it. Your veloute sauce will
reach new heights [1.5tbs brown roux to 1 cup stock with seasoning].

Kent

Kent