Posted to rec.food.cooking
Serene Vannoy Serene Vannoy is offline

Default But we don't celebrate Christmas!

Just being silly; we have nothing against Christmas; we just don't make
a big deal of holidays around here, never really have. But the turkeys
were 99 cents a pound when I went shopping the other day, and I found a
twelve-pounder. Since James likes turkey, I figured we'd just roast it
up and have it for dinner one night and sandwiches for another few days
or something. Stuck it in to thaw, and as it happened, it was thawed
enough to cook on Christmas morning.

While it was cooking, I was making giblet stock. Then what the heck,
might as well make bread dressing out of this almost-stale bread, since
I just baked a fresh loaf for the Gigantic Munchkin....

We ended up having:

Roast turkey
Dressing
Giblet gravy
Roasted carrots
Magic. Surprise. Punkin. Pie! (I didn't realize it earlier, but I just
happened to have the ingredients for a pumpkin pie, minus the ground
cloves, so I went with it.)

It was like Christmas dinner without the Christmas. It was yummy.

Today, I'm making my traditional Boxing Day breakfast: turkey hash (fry
onions and potatoes until they're a bit softened. Add turkey and a
little gravy. Fry until nice and crisp. Serve to people who couldn't
care less, and would be fine eating eggs and toast.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com