Alexander D. Mitchell IV

Default I been to Ropewalk today

> I liked the place. Very worn-in and comfortable wooden interior, real-deal
> original brickwork, and all dat. I figured to give the "bad tap lines" a

try
> by ordering a McHenry's, Clipper City's lager (all German malt, and a

damned
> good beer, BTW). It was clean and cold, bartender was friendly and prompt.
> Beer selection wasn't Monk's-level, but respectable; good, if not great.
> Sure, there are better selections around, within a couple blocks, but...it
> was easy to find something good, like 2003 Anchor OSA for $2 a pint. Beat
> that.

Dumb observation in 20-20 hindsight: Would it have been better to "fish"
for potentially-unclean lines by ordering beers that aren't likely to be on
tap all the time at the same taps (local lightweight mainstays such as the
McHenry Lager, for example)? As I said, not that I could tell a funky line
from my first sip of Anchor OSA 2003, but......... say, Magic Hat #9,
maybe? or some lighter seasonal? Methinks that IF the alleged dirty-line
problem is occurring, it would be best to hunt for it on a spring seasonal
at the upstairs bar.

For the record, I *have* run into an "off" beer at least once in this place
somewhat recently; I'm not going to over-analyze that occurrence as I
visited the place on the spur of the moment without my notebook. Coulda
been dirty lines, coulda been an off keg or old keg stock. I remember it
being at about 34 degrees F and having to let it warm up to actually taste
the sucker.

On the other hand, given the tap selection at this place, I don't think
they're big on seasonals, nor are their patrons. What did we see there,
Winterhook and Anchor OSA? Was there much else "seasonal"?