Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default New Stockpot

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:26:47 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 19:46:43 -0600, Pringles CheezUms
> wrote:
>
>> The problem is it never would get to a rolling boil tonite. It came
>> close and have big bubbles coming up the middle of the water but never
>> quite make it to rolling like the old one. There was more water in it,
>> but I let it go for what seemed like plenty of time to get it there.
>> It cooked the spaghetti, but took longer than my old one.
>>
>> What I want to know is that normal for a large pot of this type?

>If your pot is a better quality, it means your walls are thicker so
>that's a factor. Also, a larger pot means more water, which means it
>will take longer to boil. When I use my big pot and fill it with
>water, I put the lid on. For some reason the water boils faster. Try
>using the lid on next time you want to boil water. Oh, yes... did you
>put salt in the water? Salt affects the time it takes for water to
>boil.

Salt has so little effect on boiling water it is inconsequntial.

"The Effect of Sugar and Salt"

"When salt, sugar, or any other nonvolatile compounds are dissolved in
water, the freezing point of the resulting solution is lowered and
it's boiling point raised. We take advantage of this effect by using
rock salt to melt ice on roads, and to freeze ice cream. As far back
as the 18th century, solutions of calcium chloride were used to reach
temperatures of -27° F. (-33° C.). The helpfullness of solutes at the
other end of the scale is, however, more limited. It takes one ounce
of salt to raise the boiling point of a quart of water by a mere 1° F.
A Denverite who wanted to boil water at 212° F. would have to add more
than half a pound of salt to that quart of liquid." [Berk, Z.
Braverman's Introduction to the Biochemistry of Foods, Amersterdam and
New York: Elsevier, 1976]