Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default When the cookie recipe calls for "soft shortening"

"Jean B." > wrote:
-snip-

>Some of the old cookie recipes call for lard. I'd have to think
>about which cookies I might possibly want that slight flavor in.

I would think that your head would be going 'wow, what a texture' so
loud it wouldn't wonder why it was thinking about pork roast.<g>

all this talk about lard today- I'm going to go shopping for some pig
fat. [and a lard cookie recipe]

>(I do like it in Chinese egg tart crusts.) Otherwise, I use
>butter. I confess that I used some shortening when I was a mere
>child, but I haven't done so for decades.

I use butter unless the recipe calls for oil.

Jim