Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Three Chardonnays

We made the Zuni Cafe Chicken Salad for dinner last night and I opened
some chardonnay to see which worked best.

2004 Leeuwin Art Series Chardonnay-Upon opening, the nose was pure
tropical fruit..mango, pineapple, papaya but most of this blew off in
a few minutes leaving more pineapple-grapefruit aromas. With some
time in the glass the wine was explosive on the palate changing and
evolving with each sip. Plenty of pineapple and tropical notes with
vanilla and butterscotch. Fair amount of acidity and a limestone
mineral component coming through on the finish. Lemon-lime citrus
notes began to take over and by the time the bottle was finished it
was more burgundian than I expected. It started out like a warm
climate Chard and ended up like a cool weather chard. Very complex
and exciting. "A"

2006 Dom Henri Boillot Bienvenues-Batard-Montrachet--Should have
opened this one first. Initial steely mineral driven nose with some
floral undertones. Shows a nice blanace of minerality and fruit with
pear and apple notes. Perhaps the most floral white Burgundy I've had
in a long time. "B"

2007 Kongsgaard "The Judge" Napa Chardonnay-This one is pure liquid
rocks and lemon curd. Big but balanced and hugely concentrated
flavors with a nice acidity to keep it from being overwhelming. "B+"

I enjoyed the Leeuwin the most but the best match for me with the
chicken salad was the Kongsgaard.