Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

Jim wrote:

>> I've tried slow roasting rib roast and the methodology I've used now for
>> years seems to work the best for me. It's the opposite of what Alton
>> uses, but the end result is just wonderful.
>>
>> http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/mea...rime-rib-roast

> I'm in this camp. I use 450 for 20 minutes- then 250 to finish. and I've
> never put garlic under the cap. [And I'm more likely to use Cream Sherry
> than wine for the gravy-- but I leave it out entirely most times]

I'm in the radically opposite camp: I slow-roast at 250F until the meat's
internal temperature hits about 127F, rest for about 15 minutes, then sear
the outside of the roast with a blowtorch. That way the interior meat is
perfect all the way through with a minimal "grey" zone, the roast is nicely
crusted on the outside, and it's *sizzling* when you bring it to the table.

Bob