Posted to rec.food.cooking
Aussie1 Aussie1 is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

ravenlynne > wrote in news:idlj23$oj3$3
@news.eternal-september.org:

> I turned on Good Eats last night because I had insomnia...It was the rib
> roast episode. Good timing for me since I'm considering doing it for the
> first time this year for christmas. We have turkey for thanksgiving and
> ham and lamb for easter...I want something different for christmas. He
> advises to dry age it in the fridge for 72 hours, then bake at 200F in a
> clay planter until it comes up to "temp" (he never explained what that
> is) then finish with high heat for a crust. He says it should finish
> between 127F - 134f. It was interesting. Cant' wait to try.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ing-rib-roast-
with-sage-jus-recipe/index.html

"Finally, place a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and set for
118 degrees. Put the roast and the bake-ware dish onto the pizza stone, cover
with the terra cotta pot, and return to the oven. Turn the oven down to 200
degrees F and roast until internal temperature is achieved."

> Will have to decide what to serve it with. I've never made Yorkshire
> pudding either and am considering it.
>
> I want to try goose one year for christmas, but not sure about the
> gaminess? I don't want something that the kids will not eat.

Funnily enough, I watched Heston Blumenthal(?) last night..... his Christmas
special (again). He says the only thing to have at Chriustmas is goose, and
he's been having it for the past 10-12 years.

He did a taste test of a variety of geese and chose this one........

http://www.clerkesgeese.com/

And here's how to cook your goose.....

http://www.clerkesgeese.com/cooking.html

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"