Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

ravenlynne wrote:

> I want to try goose one year for christmas, but not sure about the
> gaminess? I don't want something that the kids will not eat.

If they like duck they will love goose. A goose is all dark meat even
more so than duck.

Some people associate "gamey" with spoiled because folks don't skin and
gut hunted animals as soon as they are killed. No farmed animal has
that type of flavor. But if they don't like duck because it does not
taste like chicken they probably think "gamey" means "not like chicken
or beef or pork".

Poke the goose dozens of times so there are plenty of holes for the fat
to drain out of as it melts. Do not pierce through to the inner cavity
so it all drains out. Sringe out the clarified fat as it cooks. This
is the best fat for frying. Roast until the rendered fat stops
dripping out. That's when the bird is done.