Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravenlynne[_5_] ravenlynne[_5_] is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

On 12/7/2010 11:45 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Dec 7, 10:15 am, > wrote:
>> I turned on Good Eats last night because I had insomnia...It was the rib
>> roast episode. Good timing for me since I'm considering doing it for the
>> first time this year for christmas. We have turkey for thanksgiving and
>> ham and lamb for easter...I want something different for christmas. He
>> advises to dry age it in the fridge for 72 hours, then bake at 200F in a
>> clay planter until it comes up to "temp" (he never explained what that
>> is) then finish with high heat for a crust. He says it should finish
>> between 127F - 134f. It was interesting. Cant' wait to try.
>>
>> Will have to decide what to serve it with. I've never made Yorkshire
>> pudding either and am considering it.
>>
>> I want to try goose one year for christmas, but not sure about the
>> gaminess? I don't want something that the kids will not eat.
>>
>> --
>> Currently reading: It's finals, what do you think I'm reading?

> I had goose served to me once an Xmas dinner - it was tough and even
> the skin was like cutting thru leather. The hostess apologized and
> said she wished she'd had a small turkey to offer. She'd made some
> kind of gravy, which her daughter managed to dump all over the table.
> It was a meal to remember.

Oh my...ya'll are talking me out of it!

I was just a thought...the whole victorian christmas dinner
thing...Guess I listened to the muppet's "Christmas is Coming" too many
times as a kid. :-(

--
Currently reading: It's finals, what do you think I'm reading?