Posted to rec.food.cooking
ravenlynne[_5_] ravenlynne[_5_] is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

On 12/7/2010 11:01 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:15:13 -0500, ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> I turned on Good Eats last night because I had insomnia...It was the rib
>> roast episode. Good timing for me since I'm considering doing it for the
>> first time this year for christmas. We have turkey for thanksgiving and
>> ham and lamb for easter...I want something different for christmas. He
>> advises to dry age it in the fridge for 72 hours, then bake at 200F in a
>> clay planter until it comes up to "temp" (he never explained what that
>> is) then finish with high heat for a crust. He says it should finish
>> between 127F - 134f. It was interesting. Cant' wait to try.

> Alton Brown takes simple things and make them hard. I don't
> understand his appeal. If you are interested, I'll post the method I
> use. It works every time. Dry age if that's what floats your boat.
> I tried it once and it wasn't worth the bother AFAIC.

I'd be happy to see it :-) I feel unsure of my ability to dry age it
without ruining it...

>> Will have to decide what to serve it with. I've never made Yorkshire
>> pudding either and am considering it.

> It's *very* easy. I can give you a recipe, but it's from the
> internet.

Thanks, if it's from the internet I can save you the trouble and google
myself.. Nancy posted a recipe that looks good.

>> I want to try goose one year for christmas, but not sure about the
>> gaminess? I don't want something that the kids will not eat.

> I've eaten wild goose and that was enough to cure me of ever wanting
> to try it for Christmas dinner. As far as cooking mess goes, think
> duck and multiply for size.

I'll save that for another year.
--
Currently reading: It's finals, what do you think I'm reading?