Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Alton Brown last night

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:15:13 -0500, ravenlynne
> wrote:

> I turned on Good Eats last night because I had insomnia...It was the rib
> roast episode. Good timing for me since I'm considering doing it for the
> first time this year for christmas. We have turkey for thanksgiving and
> ham and lamb for easter...I want something different for christmas. He
> advises to dry age it in the fridge for 72 hours, then bake at 200F in a
> clay planter until it comes up to "temp" (he never explained what that
> is) then finish with high heat for a crust. He says it should finish
> between 127F - 134f. It was interesting. Cant' wait to try.

Alton Brown takes simple things and make them hard. I don't
understand his appeal. If you are interested, I'll post the method I
use. It works every time. Dry age if that's what floats your boat.
I tried it once and it wasn't worth the bother AFAIC.

> Will have to decide what to serve it with. I've never made Yorkshire
> pudding either and am considering it.

It's *very* easy. I can give you a recipe, but it's from the
internet.

> I want to try goose one year for christmas, but not sure about the
> gaminess? I don't want something that the kids will not eat.

I've eaten wild goose and that was enough to cure me of ever wanting
to try it for Christmas dinner. As far as cooking mess goes, think
duck and multiply for size.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.