Posted to rec.food.restaurants,alt.food.fast-food
Retirednoguilt Retirednoguilt is offline

Default The Stench of Subway

On 12/2/2010 11:16 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:04:55 -0600, Jerry Sauk wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>>> My palate
>>> enjoys chicken, fish, shellfish, octopus, squid, venison, antelope, pork
>>> and even lamb far more than beef. I guess that there's no accounting
>>> for taste.

>> Most of those foods are not available at fast-food restourants. Excapt
>> maybe long-john silver's has a lot of the seafood items. Personally I would
>> never set foot in that store because I hate Fish, but, fo rpeople that like
>> it I'm sure it's a really good restourant.

> LJS has the first two, and on back to the subject at hand, Kili and
> TFM HATED the stench of Long John Silvers. I've been meaning to go
> there ever since but that stench has driven me away.
>
> I used to live near a LJS (within smelling distance at 1999
> Channingway Court, 43232). Right near a Subway, matter of fact.
>
> Fast Food is dead. Lone live local, slow food.
>
> -sw

Sure; but when you are on the road , in an unfamiliar area, on a
schedule and hungry, and without reputable recommendations, how much
time do you want to spend researching local, single proprietor
restaurants to find a place that serves wholesome local food that
matches your palate, with prompt service and at an economical price?
For me, that scenario is the only time I patronize (a few) chain
restaurants. They do have a place, but for me, it is a limited one.

As far as fish is concerned, I've occasionally been served old, possibly
spoiling fish at highly regarded, quite expensive fish restaurants that
repelled me even before the waiter set the plate in front of me. I've
never become acutely ill after eating at a chain, although I won't vouch
for the possible long term effects on my blood pressure or arteries!

With fish almost more than with any other food, quality control is
essential. Some chains do it very well even though their preparations
are often loaded with salt and/or saturated fat. I tend to eat most of
my fish at home. I can see and smell what I am buying, and I am in
control of the recipe.