plutchak joel peter

Default Is there a consumer's beer contest?

Steve Jackson > wrote:
>I'm just pointing out that I don't see how using store-bought beer (and what
>are you going to do about the huge number of draught-only beers in that
>scenario?) is really going to make any difference. It's still a subjective
>contest in an artificial environment that simply states a certain beer
>measures up best against certain criteria. And, knowing how judging often
>plays out - the biggest or bitterest beer wins 90 percent of the time - I
>find the results even more worthless.

Yes, I agree it would be less valuable-- you'd be using a
single data point using a random batch of a given beer with
random (mis)handling of it. What does that tell a consumer,
other than that that particular batch of beer bought at that
particular shop at that particular point in time (beer does
age) was rated as X by a particular panel of judges (average
consumers with no given experience, I assume)? At the very
best, it tells you exactly what the GABF tells you, except
the beers may or may not be in decent shape, and barring a
statistically significant sampling over time and location,
gives no no clue as to whether you. personally, will like
that beer where you personally by it.
--
Joel Plutchak <plutchak@[...]> | Boneyard Union of Zymurgical Zealots

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant