Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What happened to marble cake mixes?

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>> On Nov 28, 9:41 am, wrote:
>>> In the last couple years it seems all brands except Duncan Hines (which
>>> I don't like as much) stopped selling them at the exact same time. Why?
>>> Even all the name tags on the shelves were gone to signal they weren't
>>> coming back. It was my favorite box cake mix, and Betty Crocker,
>>> Pillsbury, and even the store brands like Shoprite just disappeared.
>>> Trying to make my own wasn't nearly as good. Is the mix anywhere and
>>> what happened?
>>>
>>> John

>> Get a chocolate mix and a white mix, mix each according to the
>> directions, and then make two cakes, putting half of each in a baking
>> pan and swirling it. Eat one, freeze one.
>>
>> N.
>>
>> (Marble cake from scratch is really, really easy.)

> Does Jiffy make chocolate cake mix? Each box only makes one layer, so one
> chocolate and one white or yellow swirled together would make one marble
> cake.
>
> (Or how about swirling a white cake with some chocolate syrup?)

That's what I used to do, but... I would add more chocolate to the
chocolate because the marble part seems like darker chocolate. I know they
do make a chocolate cake, but finding it is the hard part. Last time I got
any I had to mail order it from Hometown Favorites but I threw all of the
mixes out when I discovered dead bugs in some.

I have seen other brands of mixes that make a single layer. They come in a
pouch. I can't remember the brand.