Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Funny Thanksgiving Stories

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Nov 24, 6:10 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Let Kroger Do it For You". Or so my mother thought one year. I believe it
> was around 1977. My mother kept seeing ads in the newspaper and on TV,
> "Let
> Kroger Do it For You", accompanied by a picture of a nicely roasted
> turkey,
> dressing, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, etc. So she called Kroger and told
> them to reserve a dinner for us. She arranged to pick it up around 3PM on
> Thanksgiving day.
>
> My brother and I went with her to the store to pick it up. He came out
> carrying the box. As he was putting it in the trunk he said, "This box is
> awfully cold." We/she opened it up to find a 12 lb. frozen *uncooked*
> turkey, frozen dressing, frozen everything. (The ad was very misleading.)
> She expected a fully cooked dinner in a box, with maybe only some minor
> reheating necessary.
>
> My mother wasn't one to lose her temper often, but this time she did! She
> had my brother carry the box back into the store and demanded to speak to
> the manager. She was yelling about false advertising. LOL Yep, Mom could
> be feisty. She got her money back.
>
> But now we were stuck without a Thanksgiving dinner. Well hell, who says
> it
> has to be turkey? She promptly drove to another grocery store. We had NY
> strip steaks and baked potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner that year
>
> Anyone got any funny holiday food memories to share?
>
> Jill

This happened in my office one Xmas. We got everything all set up for
a big luncheon, two gals went to pick up what they thought would be a
hot turkey, ready to carve - they were gone forever - came back
laughing their heads off.

Yes, very misleading. I don't remember how it was handled, but we
did finally get a hot, cooked turkey.

This wasn't on Thanksgiving. Might have been Christmas. Not sure. The
office manager went to pick up an ice cream cake that somebody had ordered.
It turned out to be a full sheet which was far too large to fit in the
medium sized fridge that we had in the break room. She freaked and said we
all had to eat it right then. I know we did have big freezers or at least
one big freezer in the cafeteria but the cafeteria manager probably wouldn't
let her use it. She was a real stickler on the "no outside food" rule which
is actually a health code violation here.