Julia Altshuler

Default OT: word play, was: You guys ...

I fancy myself a part-time grammar cop as well, and for reasons I can't
explain, I rather like the informal and gender neutral use of "guys."
In the examples you gave for news reporting, I agree that victim,
suspect and man would be better, but for informal everyday speech,
"guys" has an un-stodgy air that suits me. At work, I like being the
woman in charge. At lunch, I like being just one of the guys.

--Lia