Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Nahe, Loire, and Rhone- good values all

With a pork/apple stew and potato pancakes. the 2009 Donnhoff
Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett (Nahe) won't be mistaken fior
traditional Kabinett, but there are vivid acids keeping bright and
light. White fruits, a dash of citrus, long and minerally. This has
the structure to age, but I may not have the willpower for it to have
the chance. A-

Wednesday I went to Queens to speak at St Johns, when I got home (a
fun ride, with a leak in a brake line) had a glass of the wine Betsy
had used for her dinner, the 2009 La Vieille Ferme blanc (Luberon - it
actually just says Luberon, not Cotes du). I'm not a big white Rhone
drinker, but this is a value, good acidity for region, yet with some
typical citrus meets tropical fruit, slight oiliness, floral notes. A
bit clipped, but at $8 worth buying. B-/B

Friday with whole wheat pasta with a sauce of squash, shrimp, and
tarragon, the 2005 Luneau Papin Semper Excelsior Muscadet. Big, rich,
fruit has good ripeness that you'd almost mistake for RS. Bold,
bracing acidity. I'm sure cries of infantcide, but this is damn tasty
right now. B+/A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*