Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> ukon gold freez nice after you have made mashed potatoes, i rarely buy
> fresh potatoes anymore, partly because of the carbs, partly because i love
> them and partly because NO potato should cost over 23 cents a pound,
> mostly, well before the fire, i bought frozen when on sale so they were
> affordable and there was no waste, unfortunately in this hotel not enough
> freezer space for that, Lee

I never used to pay attention to the price of potatoes. When I was single,
I didn't buy them very often. And when I did, I would just buy enough for
me. Mostly I just had a package of mashed potatoes. I didn't eat potatoes
very often.

Then I got married and moved to Cape Cod. I was shocked at the price of
produce there but particularly shocked at the price of potatoes! In those
days there was little choice as to the type. I used to buy some in a large
paper bag called "salt potatoes". I always expected salt to be in there,
but there never was any. I looked it up on the Internet once but I can't
remember exactly what it said. I think they are meant to be used in crab or
lobster boils along with corn and salt. Maybe.

Anyway... The Wives Club was having a potluck. I foolishly assumed that
when one brings a dish to a potluck one brings enough to feed everyone.

So I used this recipe that I had for making oven baked chicken breasts. I
can't remember the exact recipe but it involved crushing up cheese crackers
and mixing them with flour and seasonings. This made the coating and butter
was drizzled over. I knew there would be kids there, so I made them into
nuggets.

I used a whole big bag of potatoes (or maybe it was even two) and made Jo
Jo's. I even bought a couple of huge bottles of ketchup to go with.

I did the prep for the chicken the night before but didn't do the potatoes
because I was afraid they would turn brown.

When I got off work that afternoon, I rushed home and began the baking. My
kitchen was full of chicken and potatoes! There was so much food I had to
buy foil roasting pans to transport them in.

Imagine my surprise when I got there and realized that the other people
brought only one dish and it was just a crockpot or a casserole full of
something. I was a little embarrassed. I was even more embarrassed when
some woman shouted, "Who's the rich person who brought the potatoes?"

During dinner, I learned that the other women rarely or never bought
potatoes on the Cape. If they did buy them, they went closer to Boston. We
went to PA for the weekend quite often so I learned to buy my produce there
and bring it back when I could.