Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

On 11/12/2010 5:41 PM, pinkie wrote:
> I have a question about making Quince Jelly. My tree is loaded and I
> need to start picking them but I ran into a problem in making Quince
> Jelly last year which was my first attempt. The recipe said that after
> pouring into the prepared and sanitized jars, I should leave the jars
> open until the jelly cools and then seal them. I put a piece of
> cheesecloth over the tops and did that. Sealed them and when I opened
> them, some mold had formed (white stuff) in a patch about the size of a
> quarter. The jelly was beautiful and so clear and I was so proud of it
> but I gave it as a gift and when she opened it, there was that white
> stuff. Good thing she was a good friend but I don't want that to happen
> again. My sense is that I shouldn't leave it open but will it gel
> sufficiently if I seal it right away?

Making quince jelly is about the same as making apple jelly. The method
you used is considered unsafe in the US nowadays. Go here for info:

http://tinyurl.com/2f2cp7e

Proper, modern canning techniques reduce your chances of spoiled jams
and jellies and give you a product that can hold up to two years without
much change.