Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

On 11/12/2010 4:26 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>
>> I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation,
>> bad heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have
>> a salt shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the
>> salt shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they
>> taste it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.

> LOL!!!
>
> I've had high blood pressure since mid 70's when salt was the #1 bad
> guy. Today we don't even discuss salt with newly diagnosed patients.
> From the above; my Mom cooked with no salt for me (I was 18) and so we
> salt very little also. I do truly enjoy lots of pepper; Momma comments
> my potatoes look like Mt. St. Helen's when I finish. But she has learned
> to cook like my Mom did, and we get the benefit of enjoying spices and
> herbs in lieu of salt. (mebbe that's why I dislike fast food) Never
> thought about that until your comment George.
> Cholula is also a staple on the table. The sauce from your stompin
> grounds (Tabasco) has way too much vinegar for me, unless you get the
> green or orange variety, and they are hard to find here in good old
> German land of salt and pepper. Guess that's why I like sour pickles, no
> vinegar.
> Man I hope I get used to this time change soon, getting up at 4am and
> falling asleep at 9pm ain't much for the social life. Even beat the old
> dog to bed. Actually have time to look at email and newsgroups.

I have always made my own hot sauce, it's about 30% vinegar for the
storage capabilities. It's dirt easy to make as I don't bother to
ferment the chiles for very long. In my climate they will mold over
before fermenting due to ambient heat.

What's a social life? At 71 years of age I've forgotten about one. I go
to bed by 9 pm nearly every night and am up by 6 am. Still need to get
in a couple of naps during the day. My rat terrier reminds me when it's
nap time by coming to wherever I am and trying to lead me to OUR easy chair.

I actually like the taste of vinegar in stuff, may be why I make so many
pickles every year.

I go to McDonald's about once a week now as I am a member of the
ROMEO's, Retired Old Men Eating Out. There are five or six of us and the
rest are there six days a week, me only on Saturday anymore. Most are
veterans, most are over 70, most are quite opinionated and like to
argue. I have strong opinions but don't argue with idiots. <G> I only
eat one sausage burrito or an egg mcmuffin. Those two items are 350
calories each, have no salt on them. The rest of their fare runs from
450 to 1200 calories or more and are heavily salted. I don't even drink
their coffee, tastes bad to me, I usually drink a "senior cold drink", a
diet coke in a little cup for kids, suits me. The folks who own the
local franchise are very nice to old people, we get discounts, free
drinks on Monday, etc. They even gave us all a nice ceramic coffee cup
several years ago. They're not being altruistic, seniors spend a lot of
money with them and are there every day. Our group is there by 0700,
gone by 0800, two other groups show up at 0830 (after morning mass) and
at 0900 (lazy buggers that sleep in every morning). Mickey Dee is not
losing money on us.