Posted to rec.food.preserving
pheasant16 pheasant16 is offline

Default Hello

George Shirley wrote:

> I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation, bad
> heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have a salt
> shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the salt
> shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they taste
> it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.

LOL!!!

I've had high blood pressure since mid 70's when salt was the #1 bad
guy. Today we don't even discuss salt with newly diagnosed patients.
From the above; my Mom cooked with no salt for me (I was 18) and so we
salt very little also. I do truly enjoy lots of pepper; Momma comments
my potatoes look like Mt. St. Helen's when I finish. But she has learned
to cook like my Mom did, and we get the benefit of enjoying spices and
herbs in lieu of salt. (mebbe that's why I dislike fast food) Never
thought about that until your comment George.
Cholula is also a staple on the table. The sauce from your stompin
grounds (Tabasco) has way too much vinegar for me, unless you get the
green or orange variety, and they are hard to find here in good old
German land of salt and pepper. Guess that's why I like sour pickles,
no vinegar.
Man I hope I get used to this time change soon, getting up at 4am and
falling asleep at 9pm ain't much for the social life. Even beat the old
dog to bed. Actually have time to look at email and newsgroups.