Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

On 11/11/2010 4:00 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>>>

>>> Will be canning some venison today, if I can find my salt per pint note.
>>>
>>> Mark

>> I helped some friends in Casper, Wyoming can a winters worth of elk
>> once a long time ago. The didn't put any salt in it. Never wondered
>> why until now.

> I guess we could can without salt when Momma wants to use it in recipes,
> but this is my "midnight snack" more often than not. Adding a little
> salt improves the out of the jar taste. Was about 1/2-1 tsp/pint. We
> aren't big salters, so the smaller amount is fine.

I seldom use salt in anything that doesn't need it for preservation, bad
heart and lots of meds, don't miss it anymore and don't even have a salt
shaker on the table. Grandkids come over I have to dig out the salt
shaker and then fuss at them for salting everything before they taste
it. It's the McDonald's generation I guess.