Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hello

On 11/10/2010 6:05 PM, Kathi Jones wrote:
> "The > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 18:46:19 -0500, "Kathi >
>> wrote:

>>> OMG!!! Christmas baking - is it time already????

>> Need to get my fruitcakes done so I can mail then early in December. I
>> am thinking about freezing cookies. That way I can make them and have
>> the kids take them home unbaked and frozen (I'm expecting them for
>> Christmas) or bake them before they leave.
>>
>> Reminder to self: make sure I have enough containers to send
>> leftovers.
>> --
>> Susan N.

> fruitcake - the only one who likes it in my family is my dad, but I've been
> thinking I'd like to try making it one year anyway....maybe people would
> like it more if they tried the home made? that boxed stuff that you can buy
> everywhere and that lasts for a million years is awful !

My MIL baked a number of fruit cakes every year for about forty-five
years. We even got them before Christmas when we lived in Saudi Arabia.
She was about 90 yo when she quit making them and passed away at 100
years and five months. Now the middle girl, Miz Anne's three years
younger sister makes them from the same recipe and sends them to us.
They're always good too.

> I do several kinds of cookies too, and freeze them - pull them out as
> needed. I also make buns (using my bread maker for the dough) and freeze
> those. In both cases, I'm prepared in advance and only have to thaw before
> serving.
>
> Kathi - thinking ya, it's time to start Christmas baking.....

I make waffles and pancakes pretty often for Miz Anne to have for a
quick breakfast before she goes off to do battle with the heathens at
her school. All this reminded me I had better get in gear, she ate the
last waffle yesterday. I'm going to make ginger bread waffles, blueberry
pancakes, and cinnamon pear pancakes. That should hold her until
Christmas. The pear slices are some I put up last fall.