Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Anyone have the "Lifetime Cookware"?(waterless)

zxcvbob wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> I saw this line demonstrated years ago - and now wonder how good it
>> really is or was. At the time, too expensive for my budget. They
>> still have a website, so I guess they managed to stay in business.

>> Any comments from owners?

My ex got the set in the divorce. I miss that cookware. When I last
saw it it was 9 years old and still looked like a month old. It was the
ones you'll see demonstrated at home shows and county fairs. Very
expensive but in the end - "You will remember the pain of poor quality
long after the pleasure of low price is forgotten. You will remember
the pleasure of high quality long after the pain of high price is
forgotten". Don't buy it until you can afford it. Or maybe buy one
piece every few years.

> I got trapped at one of those demonstration "parties" once. I thought
> the cookware was ridiculous, but the idea was sound. You can cook
> "waterless" (or almost so) in any good stainless cookware with lids
> that seal. Revereware is good enough. The secret is turning the heat
> down really low. Try it and see.

After buying it I tried waterless cooking a few times. It's far more
planning effort than it sounds. Not worth the effort. Any sufficiently
high qualifty cookware can do it - To pull it off with Revereware would
take their top of the line not the ones you see in the houseware aisle
at the grocery store.

Another thing that I only tried a few times was the stacked cooking.
Also too much effort for the gain. Also something that can be done with
any set of pots that have a flat top dome metal lid available.

Most of the brands I've seen at county fair demos are about the quality
level of All Clad but with much better lids. I've owned them and liked
them but a decade after the divorce I still haven't gotten around to
buying another set. I have gotten around to buying a couple of specific
items though.

One thing I suggest to young folks is to start out with sets but
consider them starters. In a year look at the piece that shows the most
wear and buy the very best of that item you can find. Do this with pans
or knives for a while and you'll have a mix and match assortment of many
different types, and they will all by top quality excellent items that
last you for life. To me buying a piece or two of these waterless pots
fits the pattern.