Ian Hoare

Default Jacquie's 60th.

Salut/Hi Mike Tommasi,

le/on Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:22:57 +0200, tu disais/you said:-

>>The event is over and a great time was had by all.

>Wish I was there. A big kiss to Jacquie

Passed on with enthusiasm, and returned with interest. Honestly, my only
regret was that I simply _couldn't_ invite more people. First of all there
was the limit ot the number of spaces in their banqueting dining room, and
there was also a question of budget! There were several people from far away
that I really would have liked to invite, for Jacquie to see again, but it
would have been really hard to make sure that it remained a surprise!

>>And then the cake, a birthday cake of a plain génoise (sponge cake)
>>with a praliné butter cream icing.
>>
>>Gorgeous, and exactly what Jacquie loves with plenty of butter cream icing
>>and three layers of the lightest and most fluffy sponge cake imaginable.
>>
>>>excellent Bera Moscato d'Asti 2003, that we discovered in Lyon a couple of
>>>years ago, and bought this January.

>I have always wondered what to serve with Gianluigi's Moscato, or with
>any moscato.

Well, accepted wisdom - for those who like this style of Muscat based wines
- is simply to drink it on its own. Imagine a sunday afternoon, looking out
over the sea, or over the hills, with a glass of that, accompanied perhaps
by some little palets bretons, for example. But you have to be able to enjoy
an uncomplicated sweet muscat sparkler as I do.

>Sponge seems indeed the best choice to match Moscato, though I would
>almost be tempted to serve a very plain sponge, maybe with some icing
>sugar and some fruit (not at my 60th bday though, bring out the
>praline!).

I wonder if the (merciful) residual acidity wouldn't be too high with sponge
cake on its own. I felt that the _main_ reason I enjoyed the match so much,
was that the acidity cut through the richness of the unctuous butter cream
icing. remember this was at the end of a pretty substantial meal, too.

> The wine is quite pleasant, but still very very sweet.

I rate it higher than that, finding the sweetness well balanced. For me it's
just a gorgeous uncomplicated quaff.

>I am not a great fan of muscat, but here we have one that has none of
>the heavines or gross aromas of so many muscats.

I have some sympathy with that view, finding that 90% of southern french
muscats are cloying and unbalanced. One reason I like Beaumes de Venise is
because they manage to keep some balancing acidity and some subtlety.

> I just wish that he could keep the sugar down a little, in order to let the underlying
>freshness come through, and to keep that nice persistence going.

If he had, it would have been less good with the sponge! So I was happy with
it as it was. (;-))

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare