Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "I also think that mature wines have much more savory tones thanyoung wines, which lean much on fruit, thus making mature wines muchfriendlier to a varied menu."

On 11/4/10 10:43 AM, Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Did not mean to be pedantic... :-)
>
> Mature wines are not tastier, they taste different. I did not read the
> article to see what was meant by savory...

I believe that the usage of savory was in the sense of "not as sweet"
and I would agree with that statement. In the case of dry wines, as
they lose their primary (fruit-based) character they gain in return
tertiary (mushroom, earth, leather) characteristics. In the case of
sweet wines, they become less sweet with long age as the glucose becomes
esterified with acetic acid, so they too become marginally more savory.

Mark Lipton