Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ravenlynne Ravenlynne is offline

Default 50 Sandwiches to Eat before you Die- attn:ravenlynne

On 10/27/2010 12:59 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> OK thanks. So it's a sandwich.. but why po'boy? Is it a contraction of
>>> 'poor boy'? If so.. why?

>> It's made from foods that were gathered by hand from the wild. Long
>> enough ago such foods cost only labor and what the poor had in abundance
>> was labor hours.
>>
>> As labor became more expensive over the decades and as wild foods became
>> more rare, the name gradually switched from an observation of current
>> status to an obscure historical reference to the days of low population
>> densities.

> Thanks, Doug! Interesting! It doesn't seem to affect the luxuriousness
> of the sandwich
> now though)

Well, for a while shrimp were cheap cheap cheap in New Orleans...I could
get a footlong fried shrimp for less than 5 dollars. And that would be
LOADED with shrimp...so many shrimp they'd be falling off everywhere,
leaving a yummy pile to eat after the sandwich is done. Put that in
your pipe and smoke it, Subway!

--
Currently reading: The Good House by Tannarive Due

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.