Mark Lipton

Default Wine scents kits

Leo Bueno wrote:
> Trying to put together a kit of different wine smells (cherry,
> strawberry, oak, peach, tobacco, etc.).
>
> A while back I looked around and found some fairly expensive ones. I
> am wondering whether I am better off contacting some chemical or food
> additive companies and getting individual scents and making my own
> kit.

Leo,
You could try an outfit like International Flavors and Fragrances,
but I doubt that they sell retail. I thought of doing the same thing
some years ago, but a lot of useful fragrances are hard to come by
(leather, for instance, or toast). The guy who does "Le Nez du Vin" did
quite a bit of experimentation to arrive at his current selection.
Whether that justifies the high price tag is another question altogether...

Mark Lipton