Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Opinion Piece on the "Global Food Chain"

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 09:01:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> In article >,
>> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting piece on the global food chain in the LA Times this
>> > morning. I'd be interested to learn the opinions of the denizens of
>> > rfc:
>> >
>> > http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...rlic-globaliza
>> > tion-20101020,0,7940039.story
>> >
>> > http://preview.tinyurl.com/28o7wqm
>> >
>> > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

>> Ugh! It's a vicious circle.

>The thing I find interesting is that the Chinese, with roughly the same
>land area as the US and four times the population, have enough surplus
>to make their own people overweight and still export enough to undercut
>the US market.

The Chinese don't export much by way of foods to the US, they mostly
expert durable goods. Just about all the ingredients in Chinese
cookery is produced in the US and the Americas.

The Chinese diet is high in rice and fat... there are highly populated
ghettos in the US where folks predominantly subsist on a similar high
carb/fat diet (fast food). That Oriental cookery is healthful is a
myth... any cusine can be prepared in a healthful manner but in real
life it is not... I often notice folks adding 1,000 fat/carb calories
to a 200 calorie garden salad.