Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Any ideas for using Poblano peppers

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:08:39 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

> I just picked about a dozen and there are still more on the plant.
> Right now I am at a loss for ideas to use them for.

Because rellenos are restaurant food for me, I used "stuffed chili
poblano -Rellenos" to Google and came up with some interesting
recipes. This one is a keeper AFAIC.

<http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cilantro-Stuffed-Chicken-Breasts-with-Poblano-Chile-Sauce-15267>

Cilantro-Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Poblano Chile Sauce
Gourmet | August 1998

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 small skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound total)
2 cups poblano chile sauce

preparation

Preheat broiler and lightly brush a shallow baking pan with some oil.
Finely chop garlic and in a small bowl stir together with cilantro and
salt. Pat chicken dry and trim any fat.

To form a pocket in chicken for cilantro filling: Put a chicken breast
half on a cutting board and, beginning in middle of 1 side of breast
half, horizontally insert a sharp thin knife three fourths of the way
through center, moving knife in a fanning motion to create a pocket.
(Opening will only be about 1 inch wide.) Make pockets in remaining
chicken breast halves in same manner. Put about 1/2 tablespoon filling
into each pocket and with finger spread evenly. Transfer chicken to
baking pan and brush with remaining oil. Season chicken with salt and
pepper and broil 5 to 6 inches from heat 7 minutes. Turn chicken over
and broil until just cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes more.

Serve chicken with sauce.

Poblano Chile Sauce
Gourmet | August 1998

This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

Makes 2 cups

Ingredients

3/4 pound fresh poblano chiles (4 to 6)
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup chicken broth (8 fluid ounces)

Preparation

Lay whole peppers on their sides on racks of gas stove burners
(preferably 1 to a burner) and turn flame on high. Roast peppers,
turning them, until skins are blistered and have brown patches, 3 to 6
minutes. (Alternatively, peppers may be roasted in same manner on
rack of a broiler pan under a preheated broiler about 2 inches from
heat.) Transfer peppers to a bowl and let stand, covered, until cool
enough to handle. Peel peppers (wear rubber gloves when handling
chiles). Cut off tops and discard seeds and ribs. Chop peppers.
Peppers may be prepared 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Chop garlic and chop enough onion to measure 1 cup. In a nonstick
skillet cook garlic and onion in oil over moderately low heat,
stirring, until softened. Skim fat from broth. Stir in broth and
peppers and simmer 1 minute. In a blender puree mixture until
completely smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids) and season
with salt.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.