Posted to rec.food.cooking
Manda Ruby Manda Ruby is offline

Default Empty Champagne or wine bottle as oil bottle and vented pourer

On Oct 10, 4:58*pm, "news" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message

> > Now, I want to put other oil the same way not necessarily with
> > Champagne bottle. it can be wine bottle as long as the shape is nice
> > and it can hold ample volume.

> > I now have two wine bottles I got from someone. * One is black color
> > and one is green. Green one is a little less opaque. I don't really
> > like the shape of these two much. So, I am thinking how to go about
> > getting those. I had called a restaurant in the neighborhood. *he told
> > me to call back on Monday at 3PM.
> > I just called a restaurant at a hotel not too far and he was like
> > "call back at 5PM today, we go through the bottles a lot." Yay.
> > Wondering anyone does the same?

> You mean call restaurants and hotels and ask them for discarded wine
> bottles? *Hahhaha, no. Imagine how the restaurant staff laughed at you after
> they hung up the phone!

Speaking from *your* experience? Mine is that they accommodate me.
Yesterday morning, when I called a restaurant in my area , the manager
happened to answer the phone. He told me to call back on Monday
around 3, obviously a time that he would not be busy to talk to me and
tell me how many he has, etc. In the mean time, I decided to try a
hotel in the area and the guy tells me that he has only two and to
call back around 8:30PM tonight. You see, the difference between you
and me is that you don't know to talk to people on the phone and so
they laugh at you.

> You might go into an actual wine shop and buy a bottle that strikes your
> fancy,

Why spend that kind of time when I can get people collect them and
have them ready for me to pick them up.

> or scour the neighborhood the night before recycling day and look in
> your neighbors bins.

In fact, I called a Bevmo in the area even though I knew that they
would not have empty bottles. I don't know why you think they would.